This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, who has it?

Don't tell me I'm the first person on tJY with Halo 3.
    Originally posted by Captain Biggs
    everybody will forever remember me as the "gas man"

My roomates picked it up at midnight. Beat campaign by 0500 (no sleep ftw?).

The story was fairly predictable and short, but its more of the conclusion to the long H2 storyline so this is to be expected. As usual, they also completley ignored the books plotlines, which makes me sad

The gameplay is tiiiight. Its so refined and tweaked it puts other console shooters to shame. I can safley say no other console game out there can beat H3's gunplay and balance. Everything just fits.

Unfortunatley, my roomates are complete idiots/assholes, and should be shot. "lolol, why play real halo when we can turn off shields, motion sensors, and spawn everyone with BRs to see whos "skilled"" spawning behind someone = mad skillz!

If i had the money for a 360, and if the college didnt suck and allowed online play, I'd grab both right now. I'll just have to be content with the few decent gametypes they play every now and then.. and promptly smoke them at it (turns out, macho fratboys suck at halo. who knew?)

Comment

I have a pre-order waiting for me to pickup tomorrow afternoon. For some reason I feel like waiting until all the lil-kiddies get their fix before I decided to walk in.

However, a buddy picked his copy up at 8:00 tonight and they still had TONS of copies at the south side best buy (3 BB's for our fair city) and they even had a good dozen of the Uber-Geek version.

I settle for 'lamo' edition
      -Lennex
      ROLODEXmusic.net

[23:08] MrFluffyPants: it's sort of like catcher in the rye making someone shoot lennon
      [23:08] MrFluffyPants: but not as dramatic

Comment

Yeah, it was a tad short, though the end (driving the Warthog and jumping in to the hanger bay) is up at the top of my all-time 'OMFG that was cool' moments in a video game.

Comment

I've played it and enjoyed it as proving me right. Now that the Halo2 hype and hardcore fanboys have died out people start agreeing with what I've said for the last couple years: Halo2 sucked shit.

Halo3 is okay. I'd disagree with Vortex about the gameplay which although accelerated just kinda felt mediocre. The jumping seems to be even more ridiculous and the new items tend to be geared to ADHD 13 year olds. I did appreciate the reintroduction of the Halo1 arsenal which I've been complaining about since the day Halo2 released. I did not like how they toned down the original Halo weapons and then added several silly overpowered ones.

The rest of the game was comparible to Halflife2 in the aspect that neither game was finished and when they finally released they felt lacking in all manner of respects. The only real difference is that Bungie took the jackassery way out and made you pay the cost of two games just to get one.

It seems that the new trend is to make a game that lasts five hours. LIAR, Sword of Heaven and Halo3.

Comment

Originally posted by Weatherlight View Post
            It seems that the new trend is to make a game that lasts five hours. LIAR, Sword of Heaven and Halo3.
            Well, I can forgive Halo 3 on that (haven't played LIAR or Sword of Heaven), since I'm anticipating a lot more fun with the multiplayer component than the single player campaign. Haven't really beaten a whole lot else for new games recently - Gears of War was a tad short, BioShock was a good length, Zelda last me a while...

Comment

I think some of the new equipment adds an interesting tactical field, and will be very very useful when used right in objective based games (esp. the bubble shield and regenerator).

Having had more experience with it, I am far more critical than before:

1) Although some of the new guns are welcome additions (<3 spartan laser kekeke), others feel very out of place. Namley, the brute spiker and w/e the brute shotgun is called. I can't see any additional gameplay they bring that the smg and beloved 8ga didnt already bring.

2) Melee attacks feel wonky. In H2, youd do a short lunge attack (that varried between weapons) that closed the gap. Now, the lunge is gone, but melee attacks, if anything, do *more* damage. Silly amounts of damage. It just feels off coming from Halo2.

3) I'm very critical of the story. Although the entire bit of it was acceptable, it was very, very mediocre. Humanity and Elites are <3 <3, the fight, once again, not taking place on earth at all. Cortana becoming instantly sane when you recover her. Theres all sorts of just wrong bits that add up to be a very very generic storyline. The books have so much more depth to them that the H3's story is like eating grits. yea, it fills you up, but theres nothing there to taste and enjoy.

4) Sniper rifles feel... weird. I like that they reduced their RoF, but their aiming just feels. Weird.

I guess while the campaign feels short, misguided, and hokey, the multiplayer (excepting the few issues above) is much improved. The BR is balanced finally, SMG+Plasma Rifles are lo longer instagib (if only b/c its nearly impossible to et both), the assault rifle is an amazing bread and butter gun...

Halo 3 is a great LIVE game, with the neat perk of giving you an ending to Halo 2. The Forge and Video playback are heads and above the competition, and the gun balance and improved level design is such that it *will* be the dominant live game for the next three years.

Comment

Originally posted by Vortex View Post
                3) I'm very critical of the story. Although the entire bit of it was acceptable, it was very, very mediocre. Humanity and Elites are <3 <3, the fight, once again, not taking place on earth at all. Cortana becoming instantly sane when you recover her. Theres all sorts of just wrong bits that add up to be a very very generic storyline. The books have so much more depth to them that the H3's story is like eating grits. yea, it fills you up, but theres nothing there to taste and enjoy.
                Frankly: Oh noes, a weak storyline for a FPS that's strength is in multiplayer. I like and value good storylines more than most - which is probably why I'm an RPG nut, rather than a FPS guy. I, and I daresay the majority of folks who bought Halo 3, bought the game to frag my friends, not to be wowed by a fantastic story. That would have been icing on the cake - as it is, I still get cake, so I'm not complaining.

As a general rule, FPSes don't have strong storylines - they're about killing stuff in a whole mess of creative or uncreative ways, and having it look good while you do it. Halo has had a slightly better storyline than the average FPS (MHO), but it still isn't the be all, end all of heroic sci-fi action.

There are a few general ways to tell a story in a game:
                -Cutscenes
                -Dialogue
                -In-game references/exploration (IE, you pick something up or interact with something and get information)

Cutscenes get in the way of blowing stuff up. So does dialogue, especially if the player makes any actual choices for said dialogue. Heck, even picking stuff up and exlopring gets in the way of that. I think this is a reason you rarely see fantastic storylines in a FPS - it is contrary to the point of the FPS. Other games work better at a slower pace, and its easier to insert a story in to them.

Are there exceptions? Of course there are. But consider your top FPS games of all time - how many of them could have realistically ditched whatever story they had and still have been fun? For me, it'd be most of them. Deus Ex is one of the only games I could even come close to classifying as a shooter where losing the plot would have been really detrimental to the game experience... and Deus Ex is only very loosely a shooter. Pure shooters? I can't think of a one.

Comment

I know. Its more of a disapointment to me because the books are awsome. Although I think the game as a whole suffers w/ the weak campaign, it is still quite a good buy. The multiplayer options and gameplay are simply superb.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon View Post
                    Zelda last me a while...
                    I knew I forgot about a game I never even unwrapped! Thanks, time to turn on the Wii for the first time in like 3 weeks!
                    -Lennex
                    ROLODEXmusic.net

[23:08] MrFluffyPants: it's sort of like catcher in the rye making someone shoot lennon
                    [23:08] MrFluffyPants: but not as dramatic

Comment

How the hell did you forget to play Zelda? It was like... the game for the Wii until... what, Metroid? I mean... damn.

Comment

Zelda's been the game ... for ... everything since the NES.
                        -- grey wolf

v4sw7+8CFHJMPRSUY$hw6/8ln5pr7FOPS$ck6ma7u8FLOw5GVm5l7DGUi20e4t3ABDEFGMNS TVb6DHMORTen7aNs0Br2p-5.62/-4.26g8ACGHMOPRTVZ hackerkey.com

Comment

I've got it. It's fun, but I'm too busy with school right now to get that much play on it. Gigantic College projects FTW!
                          Beg Nintendo for an awesome game at the following link:
                          http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/PokemonTCGDS
                          Ab ovo, ego alienus.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon View Post
                            How the hell did you forget to play Zelda? It was like... the game for the Wii until... what, Metroid? I mean... damn.
                            M'eh, the whole "active gaming" thing was too tiring for me - the novelty wore off rather quickly. I haven't played my Wii since New Years (though I have played Mario Party 8 on my friend's Wii recently).

And yes, I finally got Halo 3 mid-last week for my birthday that no one remembered here. I didn't start playing it till this past Sunday, because a) schoolwork and b) I didn't beat BioShock yet, and I knew that once I opened Halo 3... it'd be all over.

Played about 6 (?) missions in on Heroic on co-op with a buddy, but was kind of ticked off to find out that I have to start over in single player. Oh, and Halo 3 = teh awesome. Another friend asked me what I thought about it, and I paused for a second... then mentioned, "it feels like Halo... but that's not a bad thing". So far, I'm loving it.

Mega confused at the story so far, but loving it.

Comment

I think we need to get a tJY game going here pretty soon. Despite the fact that I will be completely and utterly pwned.

Comment

Working...
                              X