Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An Important Message from sunandshadows.com, Starsiege is alive, but it may jsut die

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now that the topic has been moved, and thanks Falcon. I would like to start out new. By going to my first post you will get the whole story and how to help Starsiege out.

I will now correct those errors Falcon since you are leaving my other posts here as well as others. I will not, however, correct what I quoted because that would be correcting others words. If they wish to spell check themselves then they can do so.

Update: I have corrected my posts. Falcon if you see anymore please tell me.
    Last edited by Jeff; 05-13-2004, 01:40 PM.
    Site coming soon.

Comment

I still don't believe that Falc or Mhaddy haven't responded to my post "SS Sucks".... lol

So much for inciting a riot!
      {RiP}Biggs
      Senior Leadership
      Team Rest in Pieces
      http://www.teamrip.org
      Biggs@teamrip.org

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainBiggs
        I still don't believe that Falc or Mhaddy haven't responded to my post "SS Sucks".... lol

So much for inciting a riot!
        we don't care.
        -- grey wolf

v4sw7+8CFHJMPRSUY$hw6/8ln5pr7FOPS$ck6ma7u8FLOw5GVm5l7DGUi20e4t3ABDEFGMNS TVb6DHMORTen7aNs0Br2p-5.62/-4.26g8ACGHMOPRTVZ hackerkey.com

Comment

Ok guys that's enough fun (spamming). Please from this point forward I only want all questions, suggestions, and comments to be directly related to the topic's purpose and intent. Meaning this topic is specifically for those that need help with the server situation, have questions about the server situation, suggestions about the server situation, and comments on the server situation. And a comment on the server situation is not criticism on the matter. We need to work together.

And to close this post I will say this once more. This has been the only place in the entire Starsiege community, or related to it, where posting a topic on a forum has not been effective to the situation yet. Hopefully it will, I hope it will be effective, but even if it isn't I have done my part to help out.

Thank you.
          Last edited by Jeff; 05-13-2004, 08:39 PM.
          Site coming soon.

Comment

Ok. So we're only allowed to say positive things about the server situation, and we're only allowed to talk about the server situation. THAT'LL be effective.

The purpose and intent for the topic seemed to be to get us (by clicking two different links to read something MD summed up in one sentence) to find out that, gasp, SS is dying and we should E-Mail people to get them to play. NOT about the server situation.

Jeff, you're not in the right place to stir up interest in SS. VERY few people here still play; most of us are waiting for SS 2845.

Also, the very fact that you're wondering why everything got off topic (and complaining about it), shows that you have no idea where the hell you are, boy. tJY is basically the homepage for people with ADD. Either that, or being here causes ADD. Not sure. Regardless, we don't stay on a topic here.
            Originally posted by Captain Biggs
            everybody will forever remember me as the "gas man"

Comment

Ok. So we're only allowed to say positive things about the server situation, and we're only allowed to talk about the server situation. THAT'LL be effective.
              Sigh. It was greatly appreciated everywhere else. Not here I guess.

The purpose and intent for the topic seemed to be to get us (by clicking two different links to read something MD summed up in one sentence) to find out that, gasp, SS is dying and we should E-Mail people to get them to play. NOT about the server situation.
              First when making a topic the person that has made it has complete control of that thread and where to lead the topic. The admins have power of course, but I have said what the topic is about more clearly in my last post. So in other words the creator of the topic is not limited to only talking about or clarifying what the topic is about by the main first post. If the topic creator were then they would not be able to make a change in the topic mid way. You should take notes because this is how some of the admins over at mechnex.com (SS 2845) think. And yes I know you may not run your forum like theirs, and if you think differently than this then I will gladly change my topic post to be more clear if you believe I should do so then making another separate post.

I also feel that after seeing the link in the topic post people would also go here: http://ccforums.mechnex.net/index.php?showtopic=3478 This thread is right near the first thread that I posted in my first post. In other words these two posted threads can easily be found in that same part of the forums. Right near each other. They are not too hard to find and just about anyone would see them. They would see it; know that most of the situation is taken care of, except master server 1. They would download the fixes, ask me or others questions if they need to and be done with it. All I have done here is point them in the right direction. It worked everywhere else not here I suppose. Plus if you have read more closely to what Iron_Duke at sunandshadows.com said in my link within my first link you would have seen this

"Also inform them about all the master server fixes we now have"

Fixes that would make me think after going through just 3 links in my first link (not even seeing that second link that I just posted) above that SS is mostly fixed except for a few things that are now fixable. You see it's all pretty much self explanatory. This shows you did not read well before you commented on something. Not only did sunandshadows.com talk about e-mailing, but it mentioned fixes.

Jeff, you're not in the right place to stir up interest in SS. VERY few people here still play; most of us are waiting for SS 2845.
              Fine then get rid of my topic if you think no one will benefit from it and take this seriously. It's your forum after all. Besides it's not like it's helping in this place.

Also, the very fact that you're wondering why everything got off topic (and complaining about it), shows that you have no idea where the hell you are, boy. tJY is basically the homepage for people with ADD. Either that, or being here causes ADD. Not sure. Regardless, we don't stay on a topic here.
              I think that has to do with how you run or help to run this forum. No offense, but if that is the case then you havenít done enough to keep that from happening. And speaking of that, usually at least this is what I have seen, if an admin has a problem with a poster they usually would e-mail them in private or send a private message. Not degrade the poster's topic by talking to them about the problem there. But like I said you run your forum the way you see fit.
              Last edited by Jeff; 05-14-2004, 08:22 AM.
              Site coming soon.

Comment

ALL you're doing here is showing that you have no idea where you are. You're at the Junkyard. We don't take 98% of topics seriously.

Originally posted by Jeff
                First when making a topic the person that has made it has complete control of that thread and where to lead the topic.
                No. That shouldn't be true in *any* forum, and it isn't true here. You're on a public forum. You're not a dictator, you're a participant. You are free to introduce an idea to a group, but once you do, it is in their hands as far as what they have to say about it.

You should take notes because this is how some of the admins over at mechnex.com (SS 2845) think. And yes I know you may not run your forum like theirs, and if you think differently than this then I will gladly change my topic post to be more clear if you believe I should do so then making another separate post.
                You're right; that isn't how we run things here. If you have something to say here that's related to any part of the post, you're allowed to say it. The only time mods step in is when A) its devolving into a flame war, rather than rational discussion, B) a post is so innane and off-topic that it doesn't add anything, C) a post is full of profanity, deragotry or offensive comments, etc. or D) such as in this thread, where you requested it be moved to a different forum and I complied. That's a mod's job, it isn't to dictate to the users what to say. Maybe they should come here and take notes, if that's what they're doing at mechnex.com

I also feel that after seeing the link in the topic post people would also go here: http://ccforums.mechnex.net/index.php?showtopic=3478 This thread is right near the first thread that I posted in my first post. In other words these two posted threads can easily be found in that same part of the forums. Right near each other. They are not too hard to find and just about anyone would see them.
                There is *nothing* in the first link that would make me go to that one. I generally believe that anyone posting such "imporant" information will give me all the information in their post. Even with yours, the link to the actual information is within the post you linked to. But that third link... that one isn't referenced in the post. I'm not going to go explore another forum for information that you didn't think was important enough to link to in the first place.

Plus if you have read more closely to what Iron_Duke at sunandshadows.com said in my link within my first link you would have seen this

"Also inform them about all the master server fixes we now have"

Fixes that would make me think after going through just 3 links in my first link (not even seeing that second link that I just posted) above that SS is mostly fixed except for a few things that are now fixable. You see it's all pretty much self explanatory. This shows you did not read well before you commented on something. Not only did sunandshadows.com talk about e-mailing, but it mentioned fixes.
                It mentions "fixes". However, having not played SS in over six months (I'd be one of the people you're targeting on this E-Mail campaign in the first place), I have no idea what these fixes are or what they do. It doesn't even tell me what problems they address (since I'm not aware of anything wrong with the master server itself). Its very, very, very generic, and doesn't give me *anything* to go on. That attracts almost no interst from people who left the game and don't know what's going on.

I think that has to do with how you run or help to run this forum. No offense, but if that is the case then you haven?t done enough to keep that from happening. And speaking of that, usually at least this is what I have seen, if an admin has a problem with a poster they usually would e-mail them in private or send a private message. Not degrade the poster's topic by talking to them about the problem there. But like I said you run your forum the way you see fit.
                We run it so peole can have fun and enjoy posting here. If everything was precise, on topic, and to the point, I know *I* would have left along time ago. Maybe you don't like having fun on the internet? Perhaps you shouldn't be at game sites, then, but that's just my opinion. As for PMing you, sure, I could have done that, but, want a secret? Very few people are going to come down to this forum and view this post anyway. And the only way it would have stayed anywhere near the top in General Discussion was going the way it had started, right into a flame war... and then it'd have been locked or deleted.
                Last edited by Falcon; 05-14-2004, 11:19 AM.

Comment

All right guys, I think there's a little too much emphasis on the whole spelling / grammar check thing. Just chill, okay?

Regarding Starsiege's server problem - thanks for posting here, Jeff. We don't get a lot of Starsiege-related posts here anymore . That said, although tJY doesn't have as big of a community posting Starsiege-related topics in the forum, you've got to remember - we cover both the Tribes and Halo series of games too. However, that's irrelevant; tJY is still covering Starsiege because, and I think grey wolf and Falcon will concur, it holds a special place in our hearts. It's the game that brought me into PC games, the internet, and my online family(ies). tJY has been around since the beginning of ATR1 and we will continue to be in the SS community for some time to come.

Regardless of how you chose to communicate your message to our community, you've made your point and those who give a damn, will.

And no offense to you, but, I would not run this forum (of which I am the big cheese) any other way. We are not like others forums out there - I'll give you that. This is not a place that you should come to solely for the purpose of talking about Starsiege. Or Tribes. Or Halo. Or any other single topic that you care to chat about. The community that has developed here is more like a close family than a bunch of know-it-all die-hard fans (though we do have our fair share of those too). I think it's because we're all so close that, in general, we are pretty hard on newcomers. We have made our little rut on the 'net and for better or for worse, it looks like we're sticking to it.

In summary - I'd like to ask you to stay with us and enjoy in the off-topicness and fun that happens around here. I look forward to visiting this forum every day and seeing the plethora of diversity that has developed here - both in the threads and in the people who frequent here.

Oh, and don't mind Falcon. He's one or our "special" members.

Comment

Originally posted by Mhaddy
                    I learned from the best.

As far as covering SS... if it wasn't for SS 2845, there wouldn't be much of a reason, other than nostalgia, to cover it anymore. But since we *are* getting a new game...

Comment

[QUOTE]No. That shouldn't be true in *any* forum, and it isn't true here. You're on a public forum. You're not a dictator, you're a participant. You are free to introduce an idea to a group, but once you do, it is in their hands as far as what they have to say about it.

Actually they can. As some of the SS 2845 admins say if the topic poster gives the request that you do not mention something or go into certain things then you should honor their request. It is simply courteous.

You're right; that isn't how we run things here. If you have something to say here that's related to any part of the post, you're allowed to say it. The only time mods step in is when A) its devolving into a flame war, rather than rational discussion, B) a post is so innane and off-topic that it doesn't add anything, C) a post is full of profanity, deragotry or offensive comments, etc. or D) such as in this thread, where you requested it be moved to a different forum and I complied. That's a mod's job, it isn't to dictate to the users what to say. Maybe they should come here and take notes, if that's what they're doing at mechnex.com
                      And I am thankful you have moved it.

There is *nothing* in the first link that would make me go to that one. I generally believe that anyone posting such "imporant" information will give me all the information in their post. Even with yours, the link to the actual information is within the post you linked to. But that third link... that one isn't referenced in the post. I'm not going to go explore another forum for information that you didn't think was important enough to link to in the first place.
                      Sorry I did it quick. On "many" other forums this wasn't considered such a big deal. They found the rest out for themselves with just the title and the link. They asked questions, thanked me, and made me happy I helped out.

It mentions "fixes". However, having not played SS in over six months (I'd be one of the people you're targeting on this E-Mail campaign in the first place), I have no idea what these fixes are or what they do. It doesn't even tell me what problems they address (since I'm not aware of anything wrong with the master server itself). Its very, very, very generic, and doesn't give me *anything* to go on. That attracts almost no interst from people who left the game and don't know what's going on.
                      Well if you do not know what a fix is all you have to do is ask politely and I will be happy to help. And for the e-mails if you do not want to be e-mailed by them or others say no thanks and give a blocker for the time being until everything returns to total normalcy. Also an up to date Starsieger knows where to look and if you didn't you can ask me that too. And these topics do attract those that left Starsiege recently (at least everywhere else) because the servers went down. It would of course be hard to get those that have not played Starsiege for a long time to come back. What the community is trying to focus on the most is getting back those that recently left. Less so on those that havenít been for a good while.

ALL you're doing here is showing that you have no idea where you are. You're at the Junkyard. We don't take 98% of topics seriously.
                      We run it so peole can have fun and enjoy posting here. If everything was precise, on topic, and to the point, I know *I* would have left along time ago. Maybe you don't like having fun on the internet? Perhaps you shouldn't be at game sites, then, but that's just my opinion. As for PMing you, sure, I could have done that, but, want a secret? Very few people are going to come down to this forum and view this post anyway. And the only way it would have stayed anywhere near the top in General Discussion was going the way it had started, right into a flame war... and then it'd have been locked or deleted.
                      First off spell check please
                      peole
                      There are other misspelled there too.

Well for off topic matters that's why many of the forums I go to have an off topic section. Some an "Anything goes section" (that contains nothing too vulger or anything). And I do have fun. But there is a time and "place" for it. And by saying I shouldn't even be at game site is such an inaccurate statement because I play videogames ranging from xbox, to pc, to GC, and to some roms. Now why would I be a person who does not want fun
                      Maybe you don't like having fun
                      If enjoy playing games. Because if I like playing games I like fun so I really don't understand what you have just said. And yes that is just your opinion. You are entitled to it of course. And my opinion is that this has really gone off topic and an admin should hint hint take up problems with the poster in private (I said this in my last post) It's just more professional. And if you expect people to start flaming and spamming you obviously have a problem with your forum don't you. I think that's something you need to take care of. Usually admins don't expect there to be fights in their topics. That shows they have less of a handle on things. And allow those types in. And who you choose to surround yourself with and associate with shows what type of person you are.

Mhaddy[QUOTE}I know we are just getting a little too agitated at each other. Sorry.

[MhaddyQUOTE]And no offense to you, but, I would not run this forum (of which I am the big cheese) any other way. We are not like others forums out there - I'll give you that. This is not a place that you should come to solely for the purpose of talking about Starsiege.
                      I do have a right, however, to defend my self to support what I have said. I am sorry if I am coming off as acting like a big cheese. This is not what I am trying to show. And I know this is different kind of forum. All I was wanting to do is to help others with the server situation, get them better informed and that's it. Not have to do this back and forth with others.

I know I know I just talk this way because I have been in a lot a lot of political debates on forums with others. I know I am a bit of a problem; I just didn't want this to turn into a back and forth argument. Like some of the admins at SS 2845 say if a topic offends you or looks like a fight others should choose to avoid it. I think some have done that because of what thee see. I'm sorry if I have been rude to anyone here.
                      Last edited by Jeff; 05-14-2004, 01:47 PM.
                      Site coming soon.

Comment

It's not just my starsiege that can't find any servers?

I haven't played starsiege in a couple months or so, but I tried last night and today, and no servers would pop up. Is this what you are talking about, or is it just my computer?

Comment

Yes glad you asked.

The master servers (of which there are three) had some downtime and master servers 2 and 3 are up. This was because some of the servers were being moved to a better location. Master Server 1 was also to have some maintenance done to it. Master Server 1 itís still down. Here's how to fix things. Since things have improved more as of late instead of having to update your adrbooks.cs file and other files now all you need to do is the below.

Open up your master.cs (usually located in your Dynamix\Starsiege\Scripts folder) and find these three lines at the top:

code:
                          $Inet::Master1 = "IP:ss1m1.masters.dynamix.com:29000";
                          $Inet::Master2 = "IP:ss1m2.masters.dynamix.com:29000";
                          $Inet::Master3 = "IP:ss1m3.masters.dynamix.com:29000";

Replace those three lines with the following:
                          code:
                          //$Inet::Master1 = "IP:ss1m1.masters.dynamix.com:29000";

What this does is helps your computer to skip looking for master server 1 (since it is still down). When you go to the servers just hit find new servers and then refresh. That's all.
                          Last edited by Jeff; 05-16-2004, 05:48 PM.
                          Site coming soon.

Comment

Whew

Thank you very much, i thought it had finally died.

Comment

SOURCE
                              It's actually better if you use addrBook.cs and the "skipping" of master server 1.

Originally posted by Aldaron @ May 12 2004, 07:29 PM
                              The three master servers for Starsiege had some downtime some time ago, but master servers two and three have been brought back online. There are a two known fixes for this, each having their own advantages and disadvantages.

The easiest being telling Starsiege to not ping master server one entirely (since it's not up but we're all hoping it will be back soon) and ping the other two instead. It's a quick and easy process, but not all of the servers show. A good deal of them will though.

To execute it, open master.cs (usually located at C:\Dynamix\Starsiege\Scripts\Master.cs) and find the following lines near the top...
                              Code:
                              $Inet::Master1 = "IP:ss1m1.masters.dynamix.com:29000"; 
                              Replace those with this...
                              Code:
                              //$Inet::Master1 = "IP:ss1m1.masters.dynamix.com:29000"; 
                              If you notice, only the first server has been commented out. If you are having trouble with the format due to the program you are using to edit the script file, you can just place two forward slashes ("//") in front of the first server address.

At first when you open the server list, none of the servers attempt to show any status, so you need to refresh or hit "FIND NEW SERVERS".

The other way is by adding each individual server either in-game (which would take a long time since it requires the ports, IP addresses and a name) or by downloading a file (which a link can be found below) and placing its contents in your Starsiege directory. The only thing the .zip file contains is addrBook.cs which tells Starsiege which servers to automatically look for.

With the first fix, new servers may show up since you're still pinging the master servers. With the second, only the servers on the list will show up. Thus, it's best if you have both fixes installed.
                              It is very wise to click both "REFRESH" and "FIND NEW SERVERS". When done, you will get the status of every operational server mentioned in addrBook.cs and servers pinged by master servers two and three.

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FILE MENTIONED ABOVE

Notes on the file
                              Only the servers that don't show up for myself are listed in it, which I find to be the most common non-pinged servers.
                              You may have to add and/or delete servers from it to accommodate your system and setup.
                              Last edited by Aldaron; 05-17-2004, 04:09 AM.

Comment

Thanks guys (you've made front page).

Comment

Working...
                                X