Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An Important Message from sunandshadows.com, Starsiege is alive, but it may jsut die

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would just like to say that it is not the Opinion of S&S that SS is dead or alive. We believe it will be alive for some time after the new 2845 mod is released. As for the master server issue I feel its beeing a tad bit blown out of proportion.

Now it is true that Starsiege has been dieing for MANY years now, but there are still a small number of people who play it online. I played it this weekend, but I think this fuss is overrated. In my mind if people do not check the big three news sites related to Starsiege (S&S, tjy, and 2845) then it is not my responsibility to email people about it. It is just plain silly to do things that way.
    Founder/Member of Ultra Force
    Game Master of the Hellstorm Hussars Battletech Mercenary Unit

Comment

Amen Feret, amen.

Comment

Originally posted by Feret
        I would just like to say that it is not the Opinion of S&S that SS is dead or alive. We believe it will be alive for some time after the new 2845 mod is released. As for the master server issue I feel its beeing a tad bit blown out of proportion.

Now it is true that Starsiege has been dieing for MANY years now, but there are still a small number of people who play it online. I played it this weekend, but I think this fuss is overrated. In my mind if people do not check the big three news sites related to Starsiege (S&S, tjy, and 2845) then it is not my responsibility to email people about it. It is just plain silly to do things that way.
        Feret for President 2k4! He knows the issues better than Bush!
        Originally posted by Captain Biggs
        everybody will forever remember me as the "gas man"

Comment

This server issue is blown out of proportion. My idea on it is if someone asks about it, just quote my own topic about the "fixes" and if they need extra help, help. As Feret said, there are three very large communities relating to or involved in the game of Starsiege and if a Starsiege player does not check them out, oh well. They will eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon
            Feret for President 2k4! He knows the issues better than Bush!
            Thank you Mhaddy for posting this information on the front page of the site. Thank you Aldaron for the adrbook.cs fix, and thank you Feret for making it straight forward for everyone. Oh and Falcon don't you mean he knows the issues better than Kerry. lol.
            Last edited by Jeff; 05-19-2004, 01:20 PM.
            Site coming soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff
              Oh and Falcon don't you mean he knows the issues better than Kerry. lol.
              There's a difference between the two?

Seriously... we're going in to another election without a distincitve candidate. And this time we don't even get to hear about all the stuff Gore invented.

Comment

There's a difference between the two?

Seriously... we're going in to another election without a distincitve candidate. And this time we don't even get to hear about all the stuff Gore invented.
                Yes there is a difference. Bush actually seems to have convictions about what he believes; Kerry seems to waffle on the issues. Always going with the view that is most popular. "I voted for it before I voted against it" Or "I do crazy things sometimes" I think these words are almost exact from what he said. I wouldn't want a president who admits to do crazy things sometimes. Guys you should really go to glennbeck.com if you wish to be enlightened.

No distinctive candidate? Um it's going to be Kerry and Bush. The democrats plan is basically to go with the strongest guy in the polls instead of looking closely at what the canidate believes. They just want anyone that can beat Bush. That's really the addenda anyone but Bush. Yeah Bush is evil. He's a Nazi. Baby killer. Oh please give me a break. That goes for you too moveon.org

Yeah Gore invented allot didn't he. lol. Remember he invented the internet. lol.
                Site coming soon.

Comment

Stinger has just posted at sunandshadows.com a new idea regarding the fact that master server 1 is still down. Go here to read: http://sunandshadows.com/ipw-web/por...a3dd9a72#25035

Or you can read his words here:

Stinger
                  I happened to be surfing around and went to the RA site for no particular reason. I saw a news post by Butterbean (who apparently has been having some contact with Sierra) that all Starsiege and Tribes servers now point to master-la.masters.dynamix.com. I tried it out after editing my master.cs file, had Master server 1 point to the new address and it worked fine. AK and CA are still not showing up though. Other servers show up fine.

Can't speak for others, but IL server's master.cs file hasn't been edited at all and it STILL shows up with the new master 1 address. You may wanna edit your master.cs file to this:

Code:
                  $Inet::Master1 = "IP:master-la.masters.dynamix.com:29000";
                  //$Inet::Master1 = "IP:ss1m1.masters.dynamix.com:29000";
                  $Inet::Master2 = "IP:ss1m2.masters.dynamix.com:29000";
                  $Inet::Master3 = "IP:ss1m3.masters.dynamix.com:29000";

Not sure what the deal is, but I agree with Rock that it's better to have ONE master server with one IP than to use the addrbook.cs file.
                  Site coming soon.

Comment

Yes there is a difference. Bush actually seems to have convictions about what he believes; Kerry seems to waffle on the issues. Always going with the view that is most popular. "I voted for it before I voted against it" Or "I do crazy things sometimes" I think these words are almost exact from what he said. I wouldn't want a president who admits to do crazy things sometimes. Guys you should really go to glennbeck.com if you wish to be enlightened.

No distinctive candidate? Um it's going to be Kerry and Bush. The democrats plan is basically to go with the strongest guy in the polls instead of looking closely at what the canidate believes. They just want anyone that can beat Bush. That's really the addenda anyone but Bush. Yeah Bush is evil. He's a Nazi. Baby killer. Oh please give me a break. That goes for you too moveon.org

Yeah Gore invented allot didn't he. lol. Remember he invented the internet. lol.
                    Before this goes any further, I want to point out that you're really the one to put this on a political track

I'd rather have a president who admits to doing crazy things than one who won't admit to em.

My point as far as distinctive is there isn't a major candidate I'd want to vote *for*. There are two I'd vote *against*, but...

Comment

Yes I know this is off topic, but I remember someone saying here that that's what happens here allot. And this thread is still being useful despite other things being thrown in.

Well I don't think Bush has done anything crazy, but please tell what you think he has done that is so crazy. And of course I can give what I think about what you will say. "Both" of our opinions matter of course. And if this is about "Oh he doesn't speak as well as say Clinton" I know that. But I care less about what words someone uses to express his or her self and more about what they believe. And yes for example Kerry does speak better than Bush, but Kerry does not seem to have a core in his belief system. As people should have seen this guy goes from one way of thinking and then changes to another, just because that view is more popular. Like I said I put more value in what someone believes rather then how they say they believe it. Others will say "I feel if he talks more intelligent that is more important than what he says and does". That's them not me. But if this is not what you mean by Bush has done some things crazy then please tell me what you mean.

And basically the fact is, that "you" think there isn't a distinctive candidate that "you" would vote for. That's fine. I am curious though who are the people you thinking about voting for? Have you done some research on who you wish to vote for? Did you research both sides of the issues too? I know some Americans might say they don't feel like doing that much, that's allot of work. That's fine if you wish to make less informed decisions about who you vote for. That's your decision. And no I am not being sarcastic. I of course, like many Americans should, vote on the candidate. I don't care which party they are in. What I look for is do they mesh with how I believe. I hope that is how you pick your candidate when you make your best decision.
                      Last edited by Jeff; 05-20-2004, 11:02 AM.
                      Site coming soon.

Comment

Ok. *everyone* does crazy things. Unless they aren't human.

As for who I'd vote for... I won't. There is no point in voting for a president in the US, since your vote, quite literally, does not matter. Its not like the Bush/Gore thing was the first time the popular candidate has lost in the electoral college. The electoral college may have made sense in 1804, but it doesn't in 2004; back then, it was there so illiterate hillbillies didn't get to pick the president. Now, most of the people in the US are informed well enough to decide who they want to lead them. We don't need the eletoral college anymore.

Comment

Your vote does count. In my opinion a vote is power. It did matter in the last election. Look at how close it was.

Yes some people do some dumb acts in their lives even though they do know better. But when you are the president and running an entire nation you should feel a natural restraint not to do wacky things. Bush has not done that in my eyes. He may have made a few mistakes, like all presidents do, but I do not believe he has done any catastrophic harm to our nation. But like I said before Kerry has admitted to have done crazy things in the past.

I disagree. The Electoral College System still works. And you know I will research about the Electoral College more when I have the time.

And as for your belief that most everyone is well enough informed these days it's a sad fact that the majority of Americans get their news from Inside Edition and other such programs. It is a relatively small percent of Americans that actually tune in or do their research on candidates before voting. Allot of people go by weird things such as the candidates looks or maybe a few of the headlines that they have read from the mostly biased newspapers. By the sound of some of your words like "it was there so illiterate hillbillies didn't get to pick the president." it sounds like you are of less informed majority.
                          Last edited by Jeff; 05-21-2004, 01:20 PM.
                          Site coming soon.

Comment

Your vote does count. In my opinion a vote is power. It did matter in the last election. Look at how close it was.
                            Yes. Look at how close it was. Gore won the popular vote. Bush is the president.

I'll say that again.

Al Gore won the popular vote. George W. Bush is the president.

For *everything* except presidential elections, your vote matters. It does not count in presidential elections, however.

Comment

Yes. Look at how close it was. Gore won the popular vote. Bush is the president.

I'll say that again.

Al Gore won the popular vote. George W. Bush is the president.

For *everything* except presidential elections, your vote matters. It does not count in presidential elections, however.
                              the key here is the electoral college. your vote counts to the votes of the state's electoral college. the total points tallied elect the president. that's the way it's been for years. more states = easier win. that's why Gore's minions fought so hard in Florida. that would have been just enough electoral votes to give him the total. he doesn't give a fuck about the popular vote - that's just an excuse. all he wanted was a couple extra points in the electoral college.

honestly, the whole florida mess was just an attempt at making the electoral system look bad. it works fine. Gore was just trying to play the system in his favor by casting doubt on one state - the one with just enough votes and just enough internal problems to give him the presidency if they were nullified.

and as a side note, didn't Clinton lose the popular vote once? if it hadn't been for Perot (who, as i recall, got 18% of the popular vote), the results may have gone in Bush Sr.'s favor. never know.

the only problem with the electoral college is that it counts the votes on a state basis. a regional basis might be more appropriate (for a total of about 480 votes, which are based on population density), but this is the system that was implemented. deal with it.
                              -- grey wolf

v4sw7+8CFHJMPRSUY$hw6/8ln5pr7FOPS$ck6ma7u8FLOw5GVm5l7DGUi20e4t3ABDEFGMNS TVb6DHMORTen7aNs0Br2p-5.62/-4.26g8ACGHMOPRTVZ hackerkey.com

Comment

We don't go strictly by the popular vote, we use the Electoral College. That's the way it's always been. You vote for representatives that will then vote for who you want. Sometimes that means the election goes in a way that conflicts with the overall popular vote, but it's happened before, and probably will again. That's just the way it is. It's not that it's a bad system, everyone is still represented. The voting simply occurs in a different manner than a direct vote.

Now for the popular vote in 2000, people have no real basis for saying Gore won it anyway, since the votes were counted according to the rules of the Electoral College system. What I mean by this, is that once it becomes obvious that a certain candidate has received enough votes in a state to lock that state up, so that even if all the rest of the as yet uncounted votes go to the other guy he still wouldn't be able to overcome the first guy, then usually they simply stop counting all together.

This very thing happened in California, where it was clear that Gore had more than enough votes to carry the state, so they stopped the counts. This meant, however, that a whole bunch of absentee ballots never even got counted, and so they weren't added to the national popular vote total. And since many of those absentee votes tend to go towards the Republican candidate, often because they are votes from soldiers stationed overseas, it's entirely possible that even though Bush would still have lost California, he could have revived enough total votes from California absentees that he could have won the national popular vote. The popular vote was very close, and there could have been more than enough of those absentees in California to put Bush over the top.

But we'll never know because those votes were thrown out due to the fact that we were counting votes based on the electoral system, not a direct popular vote. So if anyone wants to get all huffy about the popular vote, let me just point out that the votes weren't counted in a way that would make the popular vote valid in the first place!

And if you want to talk about throwing out votes, and votes not counting, let me just say that all the military ballots down in Florida were discarded by the judges because Gore had them do it. There were some more votes that would probably have gone to Bush.

Oh and thank you Grey Wolf. You made some good points there.
                                Last edited by Jeff; 05-22-2004, 05:21 PM.
                                Site coming soon.

Comment

Working...
                                X