Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An Important Message from sunandshadows.com, Starsiege is alive, but it may jsut die

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm aware of how the electoral college worksl. My point is that it makes very little sense to have one. Straight-out popular vote would be better.

You're also *not* making your case that my vote matters... since, if I don't pick who the majority of my state picks, it *doesn't* matter. Even if I do pick the candidate the majority of the state goes for, it still might get tossed out... and not matter.

It makes no sense for an election that involves a *national* issue to be decided on a per-state basis.

Oh, and grey... more states doesn't necessarily mean an easier win. I'd rather have California than Rhode Island *and* Delaware. *Bigger* states means an easier win.
    Originally posted by Captain Biggs
    everybody will forever remember me as the "gas man"

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon
      Oh, and grey... more states doesn't necessarily mean an easier win. I'd rather have California than Rhode Island *and* Delaware. *Bigger* states means an easier win.
      that's what i meant.

but i did point out that florida has a large numebr of electoral votes, so it mattered to Gore that he get that state. that's what i was trying to say.
      -- grey wolf

v4sw7+8CFHJMPRSUY$hw6/8ln5pr7FOPS$ck6ma7u8FLOw5GVm5l7DGUi20e4t3ABDEFGMNS TVb6DHMORTen7aNs0Br2p-5.62/-4.26g8ACGHMOPRTVZ hackerkey.com

Comment

Originally posted by grey wolf
        who?
        Melanie, the 'butterfly girl.' She was the one who aired, "This is Melanie, and I want my mommy..." Starsiege lore holds that there were to be some missions surrounding this little girl, but were cut due to time constraints. How she is known as the butterfly girl still eludes me. Katana may know, he has alot of development stuff. I have tried to get ahold of Jack Lennox but can't. I haven't asked Karl Foster who may also know. I will have to get around to finding out about that.

Originally posted by Jeff
        Ha I have a Pentium 4 2.66 GHz with Windows XP Professional. It has 512 MB of RAM and it can hold 55.8 GB. And your telling me SS can't work on newer PC's. SS is way fast because of my computer. Look who's the idiot now. lol. j/k.

Hum no thanks. But thank you for the offer. lol. (I know your just playing around. And I am a little bit too.)
        Falcon harped on the computer enough that I shouldn't have to... though its late enough that I can say that my system kicks that ones ass and blame my flaming on being tired.

Yes, Starsiege runs on new computers, but not well. If you haven't played Starsiege on a K6-III with a Voodoo 5 5500 in all its glide supported glory you haven't played Starsiege. XP sucks.

When I posted that I wasn't really joking. I guess I have mellowed a bit since that first post, but I have to tell you: I am fucking sick of seeing shit about bringing Starsiege back.

Even if we did manage to rally a huge amount of support for Starsiege, how the fuck would people play it? No way in hell will Sierra let it become abandonware (not with SS: 2845 in the works). If it becomes one of the "Sierra classics" like Earthsiege 1 and 2 did, then it would loose most of its attractiveness. I bought the re-release of ES2. It was so fucking stripped down my damned Pilot's Manual for Starsiege weighed more than the entire ES2 package. What made Starsiege special was that fucking 150+ page Compendium and the story that was developed for the universe it was set it. If you loose that story, the game looses is attractiveness.

Getting two decent condition boxed sets of Starsiege was very hard. There are not many copies left. Yeah, you can buy a few off of Ebay, but no more than twenty. Twenty people is not a 'revival.' The people who already have the few copies of Starsiege tend to keep them, and with good reason.

Abandonware - screwed
        Re-releasing - screwed, even worse if it does come to pass.
        Buying vast amounts of Starsiege copies to distribute and bolster player numbers - no chance in hell.

Now imagine listening to ideas to revive something that is doomed for the last four years. It gets irritating.

Comment

I have two copies of Starsiege: The one I bought and the brand [unopened] new one (still) that I got from the dev team .

Comment

Originally posted by Weatherlight
            Melanie, the 'butterfly girl.' She was the one who aired, "This is Melanie, and I want my mommy..."
            and, as i recall, the animated logo in the game is - that's right - a butterfly.

who'da thunk it?

(what i quoted was all i needed to jog my memory.)
            -- grey wolf

v4sw7+8CFHJMPRSUY$hw6/8ln5pr7FOPS$ck6ma7u8FLOw5GVm5l7DGUi20e4t3ABDEFGMNS TVb6DHMORTen7aNs0Br2p-5.62/-4.26g8ACGHMOPRTVZ hackerkey.com

Comment

I am happy this topic is getting back on topic now, but before you guys continue I would like to say this to Falcon concerning our conversation and about his vote.

Welcome to the Representative Republic that IS and HAS BEEN America. For 200 some odd years. It seems to have been working fine so far. If you don't care for our current forms of government then change it, everyone has the power to do it. By your vote. But you better be REALLY sure you know what it is you want to go with it. Also, there may be several 10's of Millions of people that disagree with you so prepare for a long road in changing the way YOUR government works. If you don't want to wait that long, I hear there are 100 some odd other countries on this chunk of rock you can 'freely' go choose from. But I'd stick with staying in America. It isn't half bad in my opinion.
              Last edited by Jeff; 05-23-2004, 06:54 PM.
              Site coming soon.

Comment

Originally posted by grey wolf
                and, as i recall, the animated logo in the game is - that's right - a butterfly.

who'da thunk it?

(what i quoted was all i needed to jog my memory.)
                Very true. I forgot about that. Meh, I never really liked that one. I always thought the Dys Sno-Men was the best.

Comment

Please help me with master.cs and server fix!

All right, to discourage any noob-alerts out there, I know what master.cs does and how to modify it to get the servers to work. The only problem is... master.cs does not exist on my computer, nor does a scripts folder!!! The only folders in my Tribes directory are base, config, recordings, and temp.
                  I don't know if it is the version (I have v. 1.11, updated from 1.8), or if it is the fact that I downloaded the full version from fileplanet.com (It is available legally for free now if you didn't know). I don't know what to do about it, because whenever I access the server list screen to join a game, it says something like "Could not contact any master server. Please verify your Internet connection." There are no servers visible on the screen. in my "Options" dialog, there are 3 servers: "Tribes Full Master," "UK Master," and "Australia Master" (Or something along those lines).
                  I also have the addrBook.cs file, but don't know how to utilize it to make things work.
                  I've been at this all day (used to play the Tribes demo), and I haven't gottten anywhere, and I'm at the point of pulling my hair out! Please help! If you could send me the master.cs file (or your whole "/Scripts" directory, for that matter), I will be forever in your debt. Or, if the addrBook.cs file can fix the problem, please tell me how to do that! The address you can send things to is pastor_t@telusplanet.net
                  So, I hope I didn't sound like a noob, but I am understandably desperate. Please reply, and thanks in advance!
                  "If you can't join 'em, kill 'em"

Comment

You are on the wrong board son.

Incidentally, UF is back in action in Starsiege woot
                    Founder/Member of Ultra Force
                    Game Master of the Hellstorm Hussars Battletech Mercenary Unit

Comment

Sorry I don't have Tribes. Only Starsiege. Feret can you help him please if you have Tribes?
                      Site coming soon.

Comment

Well, I don't know if this server fix will work for Tribes, but if it does, here's how I would do it. In your /config directory, open up a ServerPrefs.cs file and then file the lines:
                        $Server::Master1 = "t1m1.masters.dynamix.com:28000 t1m2.masters.dynamix.com:28000 t1m3.masters.dynamix.com:28000";
                        $Server::Master2 = "IP:BROADCAST:28001";
                        $Server::MasterAddress0 = "IP:tribes.dynamix.com:28000";
                        $Server::MasterAddressN0 = "t1m1.masters.dynamix.com:28000 t1m2.masters.dynamix.com:28000 t1m3.masters.dynamix.com:28000";
                        $Server::MasterAddressN1 = "t1ukm1.masters.dynamix.com:28000 t1ukm2.masters.dynamix.com:28000 t1ukm3.masters.dynamix.com:28000";
                        $Server::MasterAddressN2 = "t1aum1.masters.dynamix.com:28000 t1aum2.masters.dynamix.com:28000 t1aum3.masters.dynamix.com:28000";
                        Modify accordingly. Good luck.

Comment

Oh, sorry. Well thanks for the tip anyway.
                          "If you can't join 'em, kill 'em"

Comment

Yo, grey. I finally found the email Karl Foster, aka Kyo Yamashita, from the SS dev team sent me about Melanie. Thought you would like to be in the know.

As I remember it (& understand it) there was to be a part of the Human player campaign missions where the player was to accompany Harabec to rescue Melanie on Titan. This campaign mission "chapter" was cut due to the Starsige dev project going over schedule and over budget.

Evis has said, in the past, that the game is half finished. More vehicles (like
                            the Flyers) were supposed to be in and there were supposed to be twice as many Campaign missions for both Human and Cybrid players.

All of this data I've picked up from various people who've had access to dev
                            team maerials and who were on the dev team (after we were fired). The QA Team was really kept in the dark over what was planned and what was actually going on.
                            Melanie was called the "Butterfly Girl" because the butterfly was her logo. Remember humanity in the world of Starsiege is into the whole feudal/middle ages schtick, so almost everyone has some sort of heraldric device. When you play the Campaign missions, there is an option to read "news reports" of what is going on during the campaign chapter you're playing. In the Human Campaign, Melanie is listed. She was one of the final (if not THE final) human survivor on Titan.
                            I love knowing dev team members.

Comment

As I remember it (& understand it) there was to be a part of the Human player campaign missions where the player was to accompany Harabec to rescue Melanie on Titan. This campaign mission "chapter" was cut due to the Starsige dev project going over schedule and over budget.
                              i thought as much.

Evis has said, in the past, that the game is half finished. More vehicles (like the Flyers) were supposed to be in and there were supposed to be twice as many Campaign missions for both Human and Cybrid players.
                              i've known this ever since Sierra announced Dynamix was working on EarthSiege 3 (it was in my first and only issue of the Sierra Insider). needless to say, i was disappointed when i finally bought the game.
                              -- grey wolf

Comment

Kyo wasn't a dev he was on the QA team. And it wasn't titan I believe it was Europa or one of the other Jovian Moons.
                                Founder/Member of Ultra Force
                                Game Master of the Hellstorm Hussars Battletech Mercenary Unit

Comment

Working...
                                X