This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tribes 1

Ok, I know the HL engine can have this problem, but can be corrected, by either improving your connection, or playing with the cl_lw, which is part of the lag compensation that has been built into the lastest patches for HL and it's mods...

What i am getting at is that Tribes is acting like cl_lw is 0. When I press the mouse button to fire there is a slight delay, before the weapon reports. this is due to my client waiting for the server to send the signal that it recieved the ok that the weapon fired and that everything is copestetic.

My question, how do I get rid of this percieved lag as it makes the game unplayable. I am running a 56K, but, I played on 56K before when this game was brand new and never had this problem.

Thx in advance
    "Common sense runs rampant, It is a learned disability" -Magnum

You don't have this problem offline or when hosting games, right? What are your pings like?

Comment

You are correct. I obviously do not have this problem offline. And my pings are around 200 to the faster servers...well that is so says the game...
      "Common sense runs rampant, It is a learned disability" -Magnum

Comment

Is 200 around where the pings were before you were having this problem? Are any other games like this for you or just Tribes?

Comment

Pure and simple. When you played before, I'm willing to bet that 95.5% of the people you were playing were also on 56k. Nowadays we T1ers will play off of a 28.8 to a dual T1 line. So if you have only 56kers in a server, or only 28.8ers or only cablers, then your fine, but as soon as you put them all in the same room, then the server has to adapt to each individual computer, so it speeds up the connections to adapt to the faster connections. This makes the slower connections recieve larger packets which they can't take at the speed the server is sending, this causes a small but steady thing we call "Trigger Lag".

If you have a ping above 120, you can experience anywherte from 1.5 to 3 seconds of trigger lag (IE: You hit fire, and 1.5 to 3 seconds your stormhammer actually fires). It's not the best, but it can't be changed, but since it is usually a constant, most people shoot calculating the trigger lag into their shot.

Anyhow, email me if you want a more in depth description. BTW, Congrats on still playing T1, good to see another triber!
          {RiP}Biggs
          Senior Leadership
          Team Rest in Pieces
          http://www.teamrip.org
          Biggs@teamrip.org

Comment

trigger lag begins around 90 ping and goes up from there.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainBiggs
              Pure and simple. When you played before, I'm willing to bet that 95.5% of the people you were playing were also on 56k. Nowadays we T1ers will play off of a 28.8 to a dual T1 line. So if you have only 56kers in a server, or only 28.8ers or only cablers, then your fine, but as soon as you put them all in the same room, then the server has to adapt to each individual computer, so it speeds up the connections to adapt to the faster connections. This makes the slower connections recieve larger packets which they can't take at the speed the server is sending, this causes a small but steady thing we call "Trigger Lag".
              just to add a little to that, while running on 56k (like me) you might have to change your network settings, connection speeds, & packet rates to fit your modem. if you have an external 56k, then under "options > network (in tribes)" choose the ISDN setup, & drop the packet rate by 5, ie. if its 15, change it to 10..

if you ping around 200 in your own server, offline; then you need a new modem.. or some sort of upgrade to your computer. on the other hand, if your pinging around 200 in another server, with 10 or more people in it (low ping or high), then change your game settings to what i said above. your ping wont improve, but it will limit the packet rates so you will have less trigger lag.

beyond that, there isnt anything you can do, other then possibly getting dsl or cable.. if you want to practice with someone, to get a better feel on how to aim, you can find me using the buddy list. my screen-name is "seaN"

Comment

if you're pinging 200 to your own computer, you're probably using a pentium 66.

UPGRADE.
                -- grey wolf

v4sw7+8CFHJMPRSUY$hw6/8ln5pr7FOPS$ck6ma7u8FLOw5GVm5l7DGUi20e4t3ABDEFGMNS TVb6DHMORTen7aNs0Br2p-5.62/-4.26g8ACGHMOPRTVZ hackerkey.com

Comment

Ouch.. I remember playing Tribes on a 56k and had the same problem. It especially makes a difference with the chaingun. Tribes and T2 are very ping intensive games given their speed and wide outdoor range. God bless broadband.

Comment

broadband ain't so broad anymore
                    {RiP}Biggs
                    Senior Leadership
                    Team Rest in Pieces
                    http://www.teamrip.org
                    Biggs@teamrip.org

Comment

i do have cable but my comp which is 654mhz still lags like a mother fucker when i ping like 60, plz help me i'll do anything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

What're your computer specs?

Comment

wha?

Comment

it's hard to help if we don't know what kind of computer we have.

even if all you say is "Compaq Presario 6500", i can go on that. but we need to know what kind of hardware you've got.
                            -- grey wolf

v4sw7+8CFHJMPRSUY$hw6/8ln5pr7FOPS$ck6ma7u8FLOw5GVm5l7DGUi20e4t3ABDEFGMNS TVb6DHMORTen7aNs0Br2p-5.62/-4.26g8ACGHMOPRTVZ hackerkey.com

Comment

it's a customly put together comp, Pentium III, 654Mhz, 32MB of ram for graphics card which is "NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 MODEL 64/MODEL 64 PRO", hard drive has 30GB, comp RAM is 256MB, mouse and keyboard both good, network adapter is "D-Link DFE-530TX+PCI Adapter"

Comment

Working...
                              X