This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tribes 2... doh

i have that problem, and i've traced it to my video card. the only fix i can recommend is this:

turn down your texture setting to HALF what they are, shut off texture compression (it actually makes it look worse anyhow), shut off anisotropy, environment maps, etc., and turn down model, landscape, and visual distance settings. then set your resolution to 640x480. if that fixes your problems (or at least reduces them), you've found the problem and the only fix i know of.

if it doens't help (apparently it didn't help MD, so it's not his video card), then i don't know WHAT it is.

-- grey wolf
    i am nuts.
    the junkyard.net technical advisor
    greyfade.networks CEO and chief Developer
    -- grey wolf

v4sw7+8CFHJMPRSUY$hw6/8ln5pr7FOPS$ck6ma7u8FLOw5GVm5l7DGUi20e4t3ABDEFGMNS TVb6DHMORTen7aNs0Br2p-5.62/-4.26g8ACGHMOPRTVZ hackerkey.com

I'm actually thinking it's my HDD. Over the last few weeks I've noticed a general slow down in everything from games to general computing to whatever. It takes unscene amounts of time to load programs and multitasking is almost none existent.

How do I go about 'testing' to prove it's my HDD?

Comment

well i know my sound card screws ALL my games up where it freezes for 3 seconds (as in t2 lets say i shoot a spin and my sound decides to lag then, i hear the spin shot 3 times and im back)

I'll try what u suggested greywolf

heres a few Q anyways:

what the hell is anisotropy?

Does "Disable Verticle Sync" make graphics look better or worse?

thnx

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

tribes 2... doh

does anyones tribes 2 lock up at random times?

I'll be palying and its not redjack, and i just freeze, sometimes it unfreezes sometimes it just stas froze and i gotta unplug or CTRL ALT DEL

usually it lasts bout 5 seconds and can go bout till 30seconds then i just restart...

:/

Comment

I've long forgotten what anisotropy is but make sure the button for 'disable vSync' is checked. What this does is makes the game refresh the screen when your moment does and actually kills your framerate. Or so says grey

Comment

so it HELPS FPS?
            wow its like the Filter Mouse of half life?

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

ok, i'll try to define V-sync for you guys:

your monitor is configured (typically) to refresh 60-120 times per second. more is usually better, as it helps relax your eyes. when v-sync is forced, then the video card is instructed (rudely) that it has to wait until the next time the monitor refreshes before it can display the frame buffer. while it's waiting, this is time wasted that could be better spent rendering the next frame. it's only 1/120th to 1/60th of a second, but in processing terms, it's MURDER on performance. as a result, the video card can't render more than once per screen refresh, capping your top FPS to about 60 (at 60Hz refresh) or whatever else your monitor is running at at the time. (i hate english prepositional phrases.)

now, for Anisotropy:

i'm not entirely certain what it is OpenGL spends its time doing for so long, but i do know that more than 75% of rendering time is devoted to textures, manipulating, scaling, rotating, and applying them to polygons. it's a computationally expensive process. the fastest way is to apply textures linearly; that is, the textures are not processed at all, but simply applied. as a result, you get very pixellated textures that tend to look quite bad except at a distance. cubic texture filtering and anisotropy help clean them up. cubic filtering cleans up the lines and makes it look less pixellated, and anisotropy helps improve the realism for very detailed textures. both methods are VERY computationally intensive and hurt the frame rate and CPU badly (since it's usually the CPU and not the accelerator doing this work). the result, however, is very realistic and "life-like" textures.

graphics programming never made less sense than Microsoft's move to make programming "easier." (i'm referring to DirectX.)

-- grey wolf
              i am nuts.
              -- grey wolf

v4sw7+8CFHJMPRSUY$hw6/8ln5pr7FOPS$ck6ma7u8FLOw5GVm5l7DGUi20e4t3ABDEFGMNS TVb6DHMORTen7aNs0Br2p-5.62/-4.26g8ACGHMOPRTVZ hackerkey.com

Comment

thanks

now that i know and i have a huge thing of info...

1.) V-sync disabled = good frames or bad frames?

2.) anist... = up for good frames or bad frames? LOL

thanks for info grey wolf

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by VibrioCholera:

1.) V-sync disabled = good frames

2.) anist... = up for bad frames
                  </font>

Comment

ahhh ok , i cant tell diff with anis up or down and vsync i can tell a diff it seems

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

anisotropy just hurts performance. if you want performance, go DOWN. v-sync, as i said, caps your FPS and arguably helps performance slightly, but if you want more FPS, shut it off.

-- grey wolf
                      i am nuts.
                      -- grey wolf

Comment

Yeah, I've concluded that there is something off in my PC. It isn't T2. I ran 640*480 with no graphics (literally) and the game still froze. It's something to do with my HDD or IDE cables... I notice that when I'm playing normally - the HDD light isn't on. When the game freezes - that's when the HDD light is on; HDD light goes off = game back to normal.

Hrmpf...

Comment

and i have now concluded that it's quite normal. :\

-- grey wolf
                          i am nuts.
                          -- grey wolf

Comment

thnx mr squirrel

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

MD? NORMAL?

Comment

Working...
                              X