This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to start up again..having trouble

Ok, so after probing around online, it seems that my OpenGL (whatever that is...) has something wrong with it or its in need of an update. I installed t2 again, but whenver I click Single Player/LAN or Multiplayer, I get a white screen, which fades into A. A white screen with the Tribes 2 Intro music or B. The video and sound of the Tribes 2 Intro.
    Situation A-I click and my comp freezes (unless I hit Enter, which brings me to the desktop-after hearing the little "bing" telling me a window popped up [undoubtedly the Unhandled Exception Error])
    Situation B- I watched the movie, then automatically hear the Bing, etc, comp freezes unless enter is hit, etc.

I've tried changing a "ClientPrefs" file - I disabled the OpenGL and enabled the D3D...thing. This didnt work either (I was using the trouble shooting section on Sierra's web site). Right now I'm downloading off of the sierra site the "re-release" patch. Surprisingly, the Tribes 2-included update manager only made me DL 2 updates, as apposed to 3-5 which I thought were needed. Its been a while, idk. Either way, I'm stuck and running quickly out of ideas. I have a NVIDIA TNT 2 card.

EDIT: Ok, first a little history. About 2 weeks ago, I tried played the RTCW multiplayer demo but found that i had openGL trouble again. The first - and only - thing I did was go to NVIDIA's web site and downloaded an update for my graphics card. Suddenly the demo worked. So now, with my current T2 trouble, I uninstalled the NVIDIA card, rebooted, and the comp. reinstalled my original, unupdated TNT 2 card (i think). Now when I start t2 nothing happens; I instantly get the Unhandled Exception error. Now I'm really bummed out. GAAAH!
    Last edited by MrMike8824; 05-02-2003, 07:44 PM.
    Originally posted by Dean
    has anyone else noticed that its a new fad to have a quote from someone in your sig? I want to be cool too

Reinstall the update, post on the Planet Tribes forums of the BEML forums (www.thebeml.com and wait a day or tw ofor a response. I reccoment the BEML forums though, they are really helpful and knowledgable.
    {RiP}Biggs
    Senior Leadership
    Team Rest in Pieces
    http://www.teamrip.org
    Biggs@teamrip.org

Comment

I had a crapload of problems with the TNT2 and T2, though I found that the 30.82 drivers are really, really nice. Besides drivers though, reinstall T2 in a new dir (w/a new name) and then update your update manager, then get the latest patches through it and you should be okay.

Comment

Update my update manager? What?? The T2 one? How do I update that?
        has anyone else noticed that its a new fad to have a quote from someone in your sig? I want to be cool too

Comment

when you run T2, the update manager auto-downloads and installs an update to itself before patching.
          -- grey wolf

v4sw7+8CFHJMPRSUY$hw6/8ln5pr7FOPS$ck6ma7u8FLOw5GVm5l7DGUi20e4t3ABDEFGMNS TVb6DHMORTen7aNs0Br2p-5.62/-4.26g8ACGHMOPRTVZ hackerkey.com

Comment

Aye, but every so often I notice that that auto-updater crashes, so it may be best to goto fileplanet.com and d/l the latest yourself.

Comment

FILEPLANET? and wait 45 minutes to start a 300kb download? f*** no.
              -- grey wolf

v4sw7+8CFHJMPRSUY$hw6/8ln5pr7FOPS$ck6ma7u8FLOw5GVm5l7DGUi20e4t3ABDEFGMNS TVb6DHMORTen7aNs0Br2p-5.62/-4.26g8ACGHMOPRTVZ hackerkey.com

Comment

I actually did download the re-release patch from ?fileplanet? (not sure) AND i think the update manager got it for me too. Either way, I uninstalled t2, and might reinstall again. Before I uninstalled, i'd get error messages using Inet Xplorer, Broodwar, AIM, and various other programs at random time. The error message always said something like "error in <Unkown>" and I'd have to close. That's stopped now, so who knows.

Comment

If you're getting the same error in proggies other than T2 then it isn't a problem with T2, it's something bigger. If it happens when you're just in windows, whew-boy, watch out!

Comment

Do what I did, buy a new mobo/cpu, and away you go (Of course, you would NEVER use a used OS on a new mobo, you buy a NEW one, but you knew that, RIIIGHT )
                    {RiP}Biggs
                    Senior Leadership
                    Team Rest in Pieces
                    http://www.teamrip.org
                    Biggs@teamrip.org

Comment

Working...
                    X