This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recording

Does anyone know how to convert my tribes 2 recordings into MPEG's? I want to make a dvd. - {\/}!]<E

Its possible if you have a linux cluster with a combined CPU clockspeed of prolly around 10Ghz+.

Comment

I useually don't post here but was in just for a quick look around. So you dont have a tv out card and a capture card? That would make things a lot easier. You could even do it if you had a DV cam corder. Other than that i dont think you can.

Comment

You can, there's a T2 script, but it sucks. That's why I said you should use a cluster. Mainly because the program takes a screenshot of EVERY FRAME of the game so no matter how big and phat you think your P4 is, its nothing but a POS compared to what this program needs. It takes about 15 seconds for it to save ONE FRAME on a 1Ghz machine with 512mb RAM, now... even on a bad video card you are played at about 30FRAMES PER SECOND so just to capture ONE SECOND of game time you would have to give the comp 30fps x 15seconds = the time it takes to capture 1 SECOND of play. Did I mention your ping spikes up to 900 even on dsl and you will most likely be booted for lagging ? Unless you have a clan that loves lag cause a 15 minute flick would take like 40 hours of recording time where you would have to be there.

Like LordSpwan said, invest in video capture.

Comment

Yeah, as has been mentioned, the process is not quick and painless by any means and requires a script and some software, but is not impossible by any means either. First off, it doesn't lag you since it takes the screenshots from the recording, so the only lag would come from recording itself, which is unnoticable. I'm guessing Jasio is talking about playing while the script is taking the pictures of the recording. This is not recommended and should be considerred stupid because it means that Tribes would have to be running twice, once to play in a server and once to play the recording. The process is an overnight process and can take up to a gig of hdd space per minute (depending on framerate of course).

With that said, to convert a recording to a mpeg or avi, you will first need Auto Output. This is the script that converts the recording to screenshots. It is pretty nice because it lets you select where to start and where to stop the process, if you want huds shown, select the directory to send the screenshots, and the FPS (the best fps for a movie would probably be around 15 since lower fps dont effect the game as much when watching it as when playing; this also makes the process go faster). Once you have all the pictures, you will need a program to convert those into the mpeg or avi. I don't know of any specific programs off-hand that do this, but most movie making programs will be able to do this. On the program however, you must remember to tell it how many fps to do or else the video will not play at the right speed.
          As far as the sound goes, you will need a program that can record your video card's sound. I'm not aware of any specific program that does this off-hand either, but once that is ripped you just put it into the movie with the movie making software.

The whole process isn't all that difficult, but it is time consuming. It is best to use the auto output overnight because I'm pretty sure that you don't want to be sitting at your computer for 6 or so hours waiting for it to finish. The compiling of the pictures to movie will also take some time. The process is rather lengthy so I wouldn't advice doing it just for fun or anything, but if you are making a flash video or something for a clan, it is a rather cool thing to do.

*NOTE: I am writing this at 4:15 in the morning so some information may be off. The main reason I did this is so that Jasio would stop trying to scare you and maybe somebody who knows what they're doing would come in and reitterate and continue with what I said

Comment

Thanx

Hey, thanks for the tip and the script. Yeah, I guess I really wouldn't need sound if it was a flash movie, also, i could put music in. - {\/}!]<E

Comment

Working...
            X